- M.S. Information Science, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, 2007
- B.S. Mathematics, with a minor in Computer Science, Lipscomb University, 2003
- Systems Librarian, Library Digital Services, Vanderbilt University Library, 2007-present
Primarily design, implement, and support digital exhibits, digital library projects, and other custom web applications.
- Assist in developing and maintaining digital exhibits powered by Omeka, FireSign, and custom PHP/MySQL.
- Improve and troubleshoot problems with existing digital library projects and custom web applications.
- Design and implement new digital library projects and custom web applications.
- Assist in supporting the Vanderbilt Television News Archive website and video transcoding system, powered by custom Ruby on Rails, Perl, and MySQL.
- Administer web-based software packages, such as Drupal, Wordpress, and RT.
- Work with external consultants on various web-related projects for the library.
- Involved in the ongoing development and improvement of DiscoverLibrary powered by Primo.
- Participate on committees and project teams.
- Archives Processor, Special Collections and University Archives, Vanderbilt University Library, 2003-2007
Assisted the Archives Associate with the general maintenance of the University Archives.
- Processed archival material.
- Oversaw the Vanderbilt Publications collection.
- Designed and maintained various departmental databases, websites, and other electronic material.
- Performed reference services for both on-campus and public patrons.
- Participated in a number of committees, seminars, and conferences in the spirit of professional development.
- Cataloging Practicum Student, Beaman Library, Lipscomb University, 2006
Obtained three hours of class credit for completing 150 hours of work time in a small academic library setting, learning the basics of cataloging.
- Copy cataloged books, DVDs, sheet music, and CDs.
- Created original records for books, DVDs, and sheet music.
- Became familiar with the library's ILS (Innovative Millennium) and OCLC's Connexion.
Work Committees and Project Teams
- DiscoverLibrary/Acorn Operational Group, 2008 - present
- Staff Development Committee, 2013 - present
- LibQUAL+ 2012 Project Team, 2011 - 2012
- University Staff Advisory Council, 2008 - 2010
- Rules and Administration Committee, 2008 - 2010
- Web Redevelopment Project, Content Management System Team, 2011 - 2012
- Web Redevelopment Project, Architecture Team, 2011 - 2012
- Web Management Group, 2008 - 2012
- American Library Association (ALA), 2005 - present
- Emerging Leaders Program, 2012
- Library Information Technology Association (LITA), 2007 - present
- Chair, Web Coordinating Committee, 2015 - 2016
- Vice-Chair, Web Coordinating Committee, 2014 - 2015
- Member, Web Coordinating Committee, 2012 - 2014
- Member, Christian Larew Scholarship Committee, 2012 - 2013
- New Members Round Table (NMRT), 2005 - present
- Archives Database Migration Task Force, 2013 - present
- Web Committee, 2011 - 2013
- Archives Committee, 2008 - 2011
- Mentoring Committee, 2008 - 2009
- Tennessee Library Association (TLA), 2006 - present
- Co-Chair, Library Technologies Roundtable, 2016
- Co-Manager, Social Media, 2011 - present
- Co-Manager, Conference Mobile App, 2012 - present
- Member, Publications Advisory Board, 2011 - present
- Member, Board of Directors, 2011 - present
- Member, Association Restructuring Task Force, 2015 - 2016
- Member, Not at the Table Yet Task Force, 2015 - 2016
- Co-Chair, Membership Committee, 2014 - 2015, 2012 - 2013
- Member, Membership Committee, 2009 - 2015
- Recording Secretary of the Association, 2012 - 2013
- Co-Chair, Conference Registration Committee, 2011 - 2012
- Tenn-Share Board of Directors, 2008 - present
- Co-Webmistress and Co-Chair of the Web Committee, 2008 – present
- Learn and Discover Lesson Expert, 2009 and 2010
- Member, Archives Committee, 2009 - 2010
- University of Tennessee-Knoxville School of Information Sciences Alumni Board, 2009 - 2010
Interested in more information on my involvement in Professional Associations? See Service.
Presentations, Workshops, and Training
- "How to Build a Free Website using GitHub Pages." Vanderbilt University Library, April 3, 2015.
- "Introduction to Project Management with Trello." Vanderbilt University Library, January 16, 2015.
- "TLA 101: Membership at a Glance." TLA Annual Conference, April 26, 2013. [slides]
- "Experts Profile System: Connecting Collaborators." Poster Session, ALA Annual Conference, June 22, 2012.
- "Member-Driven Publications: How TLA is Transforming What You See and Hear Based on When, Where, and How You Want It" (panelist). TLA Annual Conference, March 24, 2012.
- "Brown Bag: Electronic Communication Plan." Vanderbilt University Library, January 28, 2011.
- "Managing Your Online Identity." Tenn-Share Learn and Discover Program, (Round 3) June 28 – July 4, 2010.
- "Marketing Yourself: Mind, Body and 'Sole'." TLA Annual Conference, March 18, 2010.
- "Getting Things Organized." Tenn-Share Learn and Discover Program (Round 2), August 25-31, 2009.
- "Try Out Twitter." Tenn-Share Learn and Discover Program (Round 2), July 21-27, 2009.
- "Brown Bag: Mastering your iPod Touch: Apps and Tips." Vanderbilt University Library, May 28, 2009.
- "Free as in Kittens: Using Open-Sourced Software to Run Your Library Website." TLA Annual Conference, April 10, 2009. Content management systems provide libraries with an easy yet powerful way to manage their websites. They allow anyone with basic tech skills to create web content quickly and easily. Come hear how the Tenn-Share Web Committee, possessing a wide range of tech skills, worked together to redesign their website in Drupal. This presentation is sponsored by Tenn-Share and is part of the 2009 TLA Conference.
- "Brown Bag: Google Docs." Vanderbilt University Library, December 3, 2008.
- "Better Know the Membership Committee." TLA Newsletter 20 (4), 2014. [link]
- "First Timer and Emerging Leader: Midwinter 2012 Report." NMRT Footnotes 41 (2), 2012. [link]
- "Free as in Kittens: Using Open-Sourced Software to Run Your Library Website." Tennessee Libraries 59 (3), 2009. [link]
- "NMRT Member Profile - Jodie Gambill." NMRT Footnotes 38 (2), 2008. [link]
Honors and Awards
- Deanna Nipp-Kientz Memorial Award (Tenn-Share Volunteer of the Year), 2012
- ALA Emerging Leaders Program, 2012
- LITA Sponsorship, ALA Emerging Leaders Program, 2012
- Pioneer Award, University of Tennessee-Knoxville School of Information Sciences, 2006
- Outstanding Student Worker Award, Beaman Library, Lipscomb University, 2003
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML, HTML5
- CSS3, Sass, Less
- Microsoft Access
CMSes and Frameworks
- RT (Request Tracker)
- Unix command line environment
Strengths and Skills gives more details on some of these technology items.